Frequently Asked Questions — AARP Superstar 2020 Contest
1. Do I have to be an AARP member to enter the contest?
No, you do not. You do, however, need to be a legal U.S. resident of the 50 states, Puerto Rico or the District of Columbia, as well as be age 50 by August 2, 2020.
2. What is the deadline for entry?
You must complete the entry process and upload your video by 11:59 p.m. Aug. 2, 2020.
3. Can I enter the contest by sending AARP a cassette tape or videotape of my performance?
No. All contest entries must be submitted via the contest website at aarp.org/superstar2020.
4. Can I sing whatever song I would like?
Not quite any song. AARP can only accept submissions of songs licensed through the licensing organizations BMI and ASCAP. Be sure to check that your song is included in the repertoire of one of these organizations by visiting their websites at https://www.ascap.com/Home/ace-title-search/index.aspx and http://repertoire.bmi.com/.
5. When I click on "Enter Now!" the website asks me to register for AARP. I am already an AARP member — do I still have to register?
AARP.org registration is different from AARP membership. AARP.org registration is free to anyone, and in addition to allowing you to enter the Superstar 2020 contest, it will allow you access to exclusive content, online games, and other AARP sweepstakes and contests. Note: You must register or sign in to AARP.org in order to enter the Superstar 2020 contest or Sweepstakes.
PROBLEMS ENTERING THE CONTEST
1. I get an error message when I try to upload my video. What should I do?
First, make sure that your video is in a file of less than 100MB. If it is bigger than 100MB, you need to save your file into a smaller size. Slower internet speeds can also cause a long upload time.
If your file size is under 100MB and your upload time exceeds 60 minutes, but you are still having trouble, please contact the Help Line by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. I submitted my video and received a message on my screen saying that it was successfully received, but when I look in the gallery, I can't find it.
All submissions must be reviewed to ensure compliance with contest rules before they will be posted to the gallery. Please allow 72 hours for your video to appear on the site. If it has been more than 72 hours, please contact the Help Line by emailing email@example.com.
The 10 semifinalists will be announced on the website (http://www.aarp.org/superstar2020) on Aug. 7, 2020. Check back then to see if you were selected!